When the weather is cold outside I always enjoy a bowl of tomato basil soup. When you are in a rush a can of tomato basil soup may work for you, but homemade tomato basil soup is always best, the perfect comfort food. Today I’m going to show you a simple way to make tomato basil at home and you can substitute certain ingredients to make this soup vegan.
- 5 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 carrots roughly chopped
- 1 large white onion roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 ribs of celery
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups of organic chicken broth or Vegetable broth for a vegan option
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to your liking
- Add the avocado oil to a large saucepan placed over medium heat and cook the onion and carrots for about 10 minutes or until they are soft
- Add the garlic and cook for about 2 more minutes
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and basil.
- Season to taste by adding pepper and salt
- Stir everything together
- Bring to a boil
- Lower the heat and let it simmer, uncover your saucepan for 30 minutes
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Transfer to a food processor or an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
Serve with some crackers and fresh basil at the top and you are ready to enjoy!